We recommend the following text books as strong technical references for the agricultural source, extraction, concentration, and use of natural color additives in foods, and the US regulations that impact natural color additives in food and cosmetic products.
- Bechtold, Thomas, and Mussak, Rita, Handbook of Natural Colorants, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2009;
- Culver, Catherine A., and Wrolstad, Ronald E., Color Quality of Fresh and Processed Foods, Symposium of the American Chemical Society, Oxford University Press, Washington DC, 2008;
- Dean, Jenny, Wild Color, Watson-Guptill Publications, a division of BPI Communications, New York, NY, 1999;
- Delgado-Vargas, Francisco, and Paredes-Lopez, Octavio, Natural Colorants for Food and Nutraceutical Uses, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2003;
- Francis, Jack F., and Lauro, Gabriel J., Natural Food Colorants, Symposium of the Institute of Food Technologists, Marcel Dekker Publishers, New York, NY, 2000;
- Francis, Jack F., Handbook of Food Colorant Patents, Food & Nutrition Press, Westport, CT, 1986;
- Francis, Jack F., Colorants, American Association of Cereal Chemists, Eagen Press Handbook Series, St. Paul, MN, 1999.
- Hendry, G.F., and Houghton, J.D., Natural Food Colorants, Blackie Academic & Professional, an affiliate of Chapman & Hall Publishers, London, 1992;
- Hutchings, John B, Food Colour and Appearance, Blackie Academic & Professional, an affiliate of Chapman & Hall Publishers, London, 1994;
- Marmion, Daniel M., Handbook of US Colorants, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1990;